Bromethalin: The Stealth Poison That Every Pet Owner Must Know About
 -
RSS

Categories

"Lighten Up"
Angels
Animal Totems
Birthstones/Zodiak/Bible
Chakras
Clays
Coffee
Color Therapy
Distant/Remote healing
Dreams
Ear candling
Enneagram
Essential oils
Fruits/Vegetables
Ghost Clearings $55.00
Gift Certificates
Health & Medical A-F
Health & Medical G-K
Health & Medical L-P
Health & Medical Q-U
Health & Medical V-Z
Herbs
Holidays
Home & Vechicle Blessings
Links to the Misc.
Men's Health
Nature
Numerology
Pendulums
Pets
Plants & Flowers
Recipes
Reiki session
SALE!
Smudging
Spices
Stones
Supplements
Winter
World Religions
powered by

My Blog

Bromethalin: The Stealth Poison That Every Pet Owner Must Know About

Bromethalin: 
The Stealth Poison That Every Pet Owner Must Know About

There is a new “toxin of choice” for manufacturers of rodenticides (products that kill rats, mice and other rodents).

 That substance is "bromethalin", and if your dog or cat ingests it, no test exists to detect its presence in your pet … nor is there an antidote.



Why is This New Toxin Being Used?

If you’re wondering what prompted rodenticide manufacturers to choose this particular killing agent for their products, there’s actually a logical reason behind it.



 In 2008, the EPA decided rodenticide makers should phase out use of “second-generation” or long-acting anticoagulants (e.g., brodifacoum, bromadiolone, difethialone and difenacoum) in rat poison products intended for residential use. The EPA’s directive was issued in an effort to make rodenticides safer for kids, pets and wildlife.


Manufacturers had to be in compliance with the new regulations by 2011, and in doing so many switched from anticoagulants to bromethalin in their products. The result of the EPA’s directive could be a potentially disastrous unintended consequence in that it has made the diagnosis and treatment of rodenticide poisoning more difficult. 

  Why is Bromethalin So Deadly?


Bromethalin is a neurotoxin that affects cells in the brain and liver.
 It causes sodium accumulation within cells and results in fluid buildup within the brain.


Bromethalin poisoning is fast acting -- signs of brain swelling and central nervous system disturbance can appear within 2 to 24 hours after ingestion. The swelling compresses nerves, which then lose their ability to send messages. 
Depending on how much poison has been ingested, symptoms can include unsteadiness, weakness, muscle tremors, paddling motions of the limbs, hyperexcitability, depression, vomiting, high fever, stiffness in the front legs, and seizures.

With anticoagulant toxicity, veterinarians typically have from about 3 days to a week to save the patient, but the rapid onset of bromethalin poisoning leaves almost no time for error. 
Once an animal is showing , effective treatment becomes more difficult and costly, and the pet may only have a day or two to be saved. Even in cases for which treatment is successful, more emergency care and hospitalization is involved than in cases of anticoagulant poisoning.

Because there’s no antidote for bromethalin, decontamination (inducing vomiting and administering activated charcoal) is the primary treatment.
Not enough veterinarians are familiar with how to neutralize exposure to this toxin.

The severity of intoxication depends on how much bromethalin is ingested. 

If a pet is discovered within 10 to 15 minutes of ingestion, the owner can induce vomiting. But beyond that very short window of time, vomiting should only be induced in a veterinary setting -- and the pet must then be monitored for acute signs of neurological impairment and given repeated doses of activated charcoal over a 24-hour period.
“Should clinical signs arise,” patients are treated with standard measures to reduce cerebral edema [swelling in the brain] including IV fluids, mannitol, etc.” 

A pet who has recurrent seizures or paralysis after ingesting bromethalin has a poor prognosis.

One rodenticide manufacturer, d-Con, has refused to comply with the new regulations and continues to use an anticoagulant as its active ingredient.


So What’s a Pet Owner To Do?


Ideally, if you have pets, you don’t set toxic bait traps in your home.

 If you have a rodent problem, I recommend a live trap called the Havahart®. 
It’s a humane trap that catches mice, rats or other rodents so you can remove them from your home without using toxins or poisoning your environment.

Also, your pets should be supervised when they’re outside. Don’t let them consume rodents on your property or during walks around the neighborhood.

If you absolutely must use a bait trap containing a killing agent, the EPA offers a list of approved rodenticides that meet regulatory standards and can be used by homeowners. I recommend selecting a product that contains an active ingredient other than bromethalin.
 Both diaphacinone and chlorophacinone are short-acting anticoagulants.

Should your pet ingest one of these substances, most veterinarians will be familiar with standard methods of diagnosis and treatment.

Your vet will perform an anticoagulant blood test called a clotting profile. The results should indicate how much poison was ingested and what dose of vitamin K – the treatment – is needed. 

The outlook for a dog or cat that has been poisoned with bait containing an anticoagulant killing agent is based on how much was ingested, how long ago it was ingested, and what treatment was instituted afterward.

No rodenticide is entirely safe, but if you must use one, it makes sense to select a product that if ingested can be easily diagnosed and in most cases, effectively treated.

========================================================
Emergency Instructions


Did your dog or cat just eat something poisonous?
 Call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680 for help immediately! 
The sooner a dog poisoning or cat poisoning is diagnosed, the easier, less expensive, and safer it is for your pet to get treated!

What to do if your dog or cat is poisoned:

  • Remove your pet from the area.
  • Check to make sure your pet is safe: breathing and acting normally.
  • Do NOT give any home antidotes.
  • Do NOT induce vomiting without consulting a vet or Pet Poison Helpline.
  • Call Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680.
  • If veterinary attention is necessary, contact your veterinarian or clinic immediately.

Detailed Instructions:

Keep in mind that the prognosis is always better when a toxicity is reported immediately, so don’t wait to see if your pet becomes symptomatic before calling for help. It’s always less expensive, and safer for your pet for you to call immediately. Remember that there’s a narrow window of time when we can decontaminate (induce vomiting or pump the stomach) in the case of a poisoning!




1 Comment to Bromethalin: The Stealth Poison That Every Pet Owner Must Know About:

Comments RSS
Béton Architectonique on Monday, December 23, 2013 11:07 AM
Good steps have been utilised in this part. Its unfastening is so actually unbelievable and engaged method so speedy. I Will Be close to Back shortly. Thanks for posting Some large notions.
Reply to comment

Add a Comment

Your Name:
Email Address: (Required)
Website:
Comment:
Make your text bigger, bold, italic and more with HTML tags. We'll show you how.
Post Comment
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint